Construction for the Welch Municipal Parking Building was finished in 1941. At the time, it was the first municipally owned parking building in the United States. The City of Welch renovated the building in 2005 and the photo above was taken shortly afterward.
The dedication ceremony for the Welch Municipal Parking Building in Welch, WV was captured on film. The film includes events of Labor Day, 1941 in the City of Welch.
Also shown in this brief film is the Welch Labor Day parade down McDowell Street with views of marching bands and the Welch Train Station which still had the overhead passenger shelter along the tracks reaching all the way to Wyoming Street.
There are numerous views of the interior and exterior of both the Carter Hotel and Flat Iron Drug Store. Also shown are special events by the Welch Lions Club, the Chamber of Commerce and a United Mine Workers Union family outing at Blakely Field. The film ends with the Dedication Ceremony on the top floor of the Parking Building and a flag raising ceremony by the US Marines and the Boy Scouts of America.
The photos below were captured from the video.